So… it’s that time of year when everyone is making resolutions. Ok, not everyone, about 50% of the of people make them and guess how many keep and maintain them? 8%. And what’s the #1 New Year’s resolution? You got it, lose weight. interestingly, the 5th most popular resolution is to live a healthier lifestyle, which in my opinion, if you make living healthier a priority losing weight will come naturally.
I’m sort of digressing here, the point in writing this post is to give you some practical advice on how to lose weight. Well, here it is… make it your priority and lifestyle to eat well and exercise. I know, brilliant right! Obviously it’s easier said than done, but that’s pretty much the recipe for success. Here are a few ways that you can do this:
- Don’t submit to a fad diet or any diet where you lose weight but cannot maintain the same diet as a lifestyle. When you do this the result is that you gain the weight back plus 5 lbs. guaranteed. I’m not saying you have to eat as little as you did during the weight loss stage, but you should be able to maintain a similar, healthy diet post weight loss.
- Do your research on how to eat a healthy diet and calculate how many calories you should be consuming a day to both lose and maintaining weight. Shape Magazine has a simple equation on calories and weight loss. As far as nutrition, I will give you some tips in upcoming posts, but fruits, veggies, whole grains are all healthy and filling. You know the food that make you feel good and those that make you feel like crap. A good rule of thumb is to stay away from consuming things that cause fatigue and irritability. Natural foods, rich in nutrients will help you both have more energy and more focus making it easier to consume less, be active and stay on your weight loss path.
- Surround yourself with people who have similar goals and plan to workout together and trade diet and nutrition tips. Make a plan to meet with this person or people at least once a week, whether to workout together or just grab coffee and chat about your progress.
- Find an exercise class you love. I really enjoy cycling, yoga and Barre. Try out different classes, there are so many out there! If you go often enough you’ll get to know the instructors and patrons and forma little community that you will miss if you stop.
- Get a gym membership and use it!!!!! I know many people sign up for a membership and don’t ever go. I’ve been guilty of this practice in the past. Make an appointment for some personal training sessions, these can be expensive but well worth it. These trainers will show you how to use the equipment and give you an exercise regimen. You can simply see a trainer a few times to get the benefit of feeling more comfortable and motivated at the gym.
- Last but not least: download some kick ass workout music! Everyone has their own flavor of music that gets them going at the gym or out for a run. Take the time to research and put some great tracks on your iPhone. I personally enjoy EDM, or as we called it in my day, House Music. What’s your favorite music to workout to?
Was this article helpful? What is your game plan to lose weight and keep it off in 2017?