Think of the weekend as an opportunity to amp up your fitness game.
People often use the weekend as an excuse to cheat on their diet and not exercise. That’s fine as long as you are not trying to bring your physical, mental and emotional state to a higher level. However, if you are (and if you’re reading this you probably are) I have some suggestions for you.
- Change your mind about the weekend. What do I mean by this? Think of the weekend as an opportunity to practice health and wellness instead of a chance to binge, sleep and watch Netflix. It’s ok to indulge a little, but if you change your general mindset and get in the habit of thinking of the weekend as having more time to focus on participating in healthy activities like hikes, running, getting to a yoga class or spending a little time making a shopping list for the week containing more whole foods and less processed ones; it will help you stay on track and not gain or regain those unwanted pounds.
- Do something good for someone else. This is a great way to show gratitude and to get your mind off of those unhealthy foods you may be craving. Make a plan to volunteer a little of your time or give back in some other way; this will fill your soul with love and gratefulness rather than filling your belly with fried food and sugar.
- Plan ahead. You know weekends are hard so make a plan to keep on track. Schedule a workout class and make sure you have healthy food options in your house to curb cravings.
What healthy activity are you doing this weekend?
We’re already a few weeks into spring so summer is getting near. I’m a strong advocate for being healthy and fit year round but also realize that’s not so easy for many people, myself included! With summer in our midst, the pressure is on to lose those extra pounds and stop eating the hardy and fattening foods we tend to crave in the colder months. So let’s get started!
I would love to hear from you and help you achieve your “fit bliss”. Please let me know a few things so I can better serve you. First, what are your current fitness goals? Second, what steps are you taking to achieve those goals? And finally, what would you like to see from this web site to help you achieve those goals? Writing it down and telling other people is a good start to holding yourself accountable for these goals and giving you more motivation to pursue and achieve your perfect fit.
I’ll tell you what my goals are, cut way down on processed sugar, get to the gym at least 4 times a week and most of all, better help YOU achieve your fitness goals. There’s not much more satisfying then when I hear from people who are inspired, motivated and most of all, SEEING RESULTS from the material I’m posting and advice I’m providing.
First step, when I get my workout in I will post it on Instagram with hashtag “fitbliss” and ask you to do the same so we can hold each other accountable.
I’ve been posting a HIIT (high intensity interval training) every Monday on my YouTube channel. This week I’m posting the HIIT here because I won’t be able to get to filming.
I also wanted to take a moment to talk a little about how to get fit and stay fit. Many people I encounter ask me what I do to stay in shape especially after having 3 kids. Here’s my answer: If you want to know what I do to get and stay in shape, follow my blog and do my weekly workouts. If you’re not willing to do the work, like the HIIT and strength training exercises I post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you’re not going to get in better shape. So get up, get pumped and do it!
With that, here’s your HIIT for the week. Perform this at least twice but preferably 3 or 4 times this week. Message me with any questions about this workout (including if you need modifications) or anything else at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I had an experience at the resort gym that inspired me to write this post. There were no machines that looked familiar other than the treadmill and I didn’t feel like jogging. I carefully chose one that looked the most familiar hoping I could figure it out pretty quickly and avoid embarrassing myself. This didn’t go so well.
First, I had a hard time getting situated on the machine, stumbling to get my feet into proper placement. Second, this was a machine that looked like an elliptical however I was unsure if it behaved like one. Are my legs going in a circle, front and back or side to side?? WTF! It took me longer then I hoped to figure it out and I don’t know if I was ever really doing it properly, but after an embarrassing few minutes was able to feign confidence like I had it down.
This experience got me thinking about everyone out there who has similar moments at the gym and is therefore anxious and even turned off by the thought of going. I’ve been going to some sort of gym for over 20 years now and I still have embarrassing moments and feel anxious when I’m at a new fitness facility. However, I understand that if you’re new to exercise and a gym membership it’s all the more daunting.
Here are my top 5 most embarrassing gym moments to help you feel a little better about yourself and hopefully give you more confidence to hit the gym more often. The more you go the more confidence you will get.
- Back when treadmills didn’t automatically slow down, upon hitting the stop button I went flying forward and hit my face on the front panel.
- At a swim meet in high school, instead of a graceful swan dive into the pool I performed, what felt like was a cataclysmic belly-flop.
- I dropped a dumbbell on someone,s foot.
- Using the ab machine that requires you to hang upside down at an angle, I couldn’t figure out how to get off and instead of a smooth dismount, fell to the side and somehow tumbled in the process.
- I’m the gal that’s always going the opposite direction as everyone else in the same class. Whether it’s aerobics, kick boxing or Zumba, you name it. I have zero coordination.
I’ll end by saying that a good way to relieve gym anxiety is to either go with a friend that knows what they’re doing and can show you the ropes; or have one of the trainers show you around the facility and give you a tutorial on how to use the machines. Whatever you do DON’T GIVE UP! It’ll get easier.
Do you have an embarrassing gym moment you can share with us?
Thanks for reading!
Getting in some last minute exercise before this baby arrives. Check back tomorrow for some tips on exercises you can do while your pregnant, even when you get as big as I am right now!
Show off your baby bump! I’d love to see your beautiful bumps so please post them in the comments section of this post. Congrats and goodluck to all you expectant moms!! ❤️
Hopefully you’ve gotten the swing of HIIT training and I hope you like it and are getting the full benefits. If you are doing this type of training consistently and giving it your all you will see results! That brings us to this weeks challenge…
1) Weight Training. This week I want to talk a little about the importance of muscle training. To get the full benefits of working out, tone up and slim down, you need to add weight training to your regimen. Doing this for just a few minutes a day will tremendously help increase your metabolism and weight loss. Included in the HIIT workouts I’ve been giving you is some weight training using your own body weight, that is part of the reason this type of exercise is so effective. But, if you want to really increase your results and get that six pack you always wanted you must do more focused exercises.
If you have no idea what exercises to do for each muscle group there are lots of videos on YouTube to help. I’ve been doing a lot of the Tone it Up workouts lately. You may know Kareena and Katrina from their show on Bravo. They have some really great, SHORT, videos that help you get “toned up”. 🙂 Here’s one for your legs and booty that’s terrific. Let me know how you like it at Hilary@ugobabyfitness.com.
2) This weeks HIIT. Tabata format just like the previous weeks.
– High Knees. (20 seconds on 10 seconds off for 4 rounds, total of 2 minutes.)
– Squat with kick, right leg then left.
– Lunge to kick. Right side then left.
Quiche is so easy to make and a delicious way to eat vegetables. Here’s a recipe I made recently that me and my family truly loved…
They key to making quiche simple is to buy your crust. The best store bought pie crust that contains no trans fat is from Pillsbury.
– 5 eggs
– 1/3 cup low fat Miracle Whip.
– 1/3 cup low fat milk
– 1 plum tomato chopped
– 1 cup Feta Cheese
– 1 bag baby spinach
– 1 portabella mushrooms
– 1/2 yellow onion chopped
Pre heat oven at 375 degrees. Sautee vegetable in a large skillet over medium heat. Spray 9 inch pan with Pam olive oil, then line with pie crust.
Beat eggs, miracle whip, and milk together and pour in pie crust. When vegetable are soft, place in the eggs and sprinkle the feta cheese on top. Place in oven and cook for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool and serve.
Please share your recipe with us! Send to: Hilary@ugobabyfitness.com.
Hilary Ann Lambert